The American Rescue Plan paved way for the historic expansion of the Child Tax Credit. Through December 2021, most Maryland families will receive monthly payments deposited directly into their bank accounts. Maryland households will receive a monthly payment of up to $300 per child under age 6 and up to $250 per child from ages 6 to 17.
The enhanced Child Tax Credit will provide Maryland families with a total of $3,600 for each child under 6 and $3,000 total for each child between ages 6 and 17 per year. Monthly payments will be distributed through the end of 2021, and the remaining funds will be claimed when filing 2021 taxes next year. Single parents making up to $75,000 and filing their taxes as individuals, those filing as heads of household making up to $112,500, and married joint filers making up to $150,000 a year are eligible for these monthly automatic installment payments.
In most cases, no action is required by parents to receive these payments. Families that don’t usually file tax returns can now register for the Child Tax Credit and update important information by clicking HERE.
Important information From the IRS
Helpful Links to get you started:
- Update important information by clicking here, or reading below.
- Manage your payment by clicking here.
- Check if you are eligible by clicking here.
Child Tax Credit Non-filer Sign-up Tool
The IRS has created a the Child Tax Credit Non-filer Sign-up Tool for families that did not file taxes in 2020. Below is more information from the IRS website on who should use this tool:
Who should use the Child Tax Credit Non-filer Sign-up Tool:
Use this tool to report your qualifying children born before 2021 if you:
- Are not required to file a 2020 tax return, didn’t file one and don’t plan to; and
- Have a main home in the United States for more than half of the year.
Also, if you did not get the full amounts of the first and second Economic Impact Payment, you may use this tool if you:
- Are not required to file a 2020 tax return, didn’t file and don’t plan to, and
- Want to claim the 2020 Recovery Rebate Credit and get your third Economic Impact Payment.
Do not use this tool if you:
- Filed or plan to file a 2020 tax return; or
- Claimed all your dependents on a 2019 tax return, including by reporting their information in 2020 using the Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here tool; or
- Were married at the end of 2020 unless you use the tool with your spouse and include your spouse’s information; or
- Are a resident of a U.S. territory; or
- Do not have a main home in the United States for more than half the year and, if you are married, your spouse does not have a main home in the United States for more than half the year; or
- Do not have a qualifying child who was born before 2021 and had a Social Security number issued before May 17, 2021.
Additional links and Resources:
- IRS: Advance Child Tax Credit Payments in 2021
- IRS: 2021 Child Tax Credit and Advance Child Tax Credit Payments Frequently Asked Questions
- IRS: Child Tax Credit Non-filer Sign-up Tool
- The White House: ChildTaxCredit.gov
- The White House: One-pager on the Child Tax Credit
- The White House: Child Tax Credit Flyer